Friday, August 14, 2020

Pumpkin wire form hanger

 That title is a mouth full, eh? Ha ha ha! Seriously, this was another super fun craft!! I had so many ideas that I had to post a poll on my Facebook Craft Group page so my crafty followers could help me decide!  One idea I had was to put two wire forms together to form one big pumpkin and create some type of stand to display it on my kitchen table.  I may still do that because I have more forms.  But for this craft I decided to make it a hanger.  Maybe down the road I'll create some type of stand for it using the mini Jenga blocks!  Stay tuned for that!! 


My inspiration for this one came from a couple different places.  One of the crafters I watch had posted a craft with the metal pumpkin wire forms and then I saw it popping up in some groups I follow on Facebook.  I decided to give it a whirl and of course, make it my own.  I had a super hard time finding the wire forms so a couple awesome friends picked some up for me.  Super awesome girls!! Love them!! I ran to Hobby Lobby and picked up a few more embellishments and even stopped at Dollar Tree again and picked up some small pumpkins, which I didn't end up using. Oh well. I'll find a way to use them, promise! 

Here are some of the supplies I used:




I wanted to cover the wire in jute knowing it would be a lengthy and daunting process.  It took about an hour.  That's not as bad as I had anticipated!! I wound the jute around each piece of wire, hot gluing as I went to reinforce and make sure that if a piece of jute came loose, the whole thing wouldn't just fall apart!  



Much like the splatter screen pumpkin, I wanted to add flowers and leaves to the bottom.  I arranged them on the table in front of me to try to get an idea of where I wanted to place them. I didn't want to just start gluing them on all willy-nilly.  He he! Here's the thing.  I don't want anything I create to fall apart.  I LOVE glue.  But often times it's extremely hard to remove without damaging the craft.  I only had so many leaves to work with and jute isn't always forgiving either!  One by one I got the leaves where I wanted them, sneaking in a couple of the buffalo check leaves and the burlap leaves.  I was so excited to use those!! The leaves were very vibrant and good quality. I got those at Hobby Lobby for $2.50 a twig.  I know that's not the proper name for it, but it wasn't a bag, ok? They were better than the ones in the bag.  Kind of a velvet texture, almost.  I had a little wooden pumpkin that I wanted to incorporate so I covered it with fabric that I also found at Hobby Lobby, on clearance!  I managed to get the words almost perfectly displayed when I glued it down, much to my amazement! I added little green floral wire vines around the stem too! I even covered the little stem with twine, to match the stem on the bigger pumpkin. It's the little things, folks.




The bow was a little bit of a challenge.  I've never made a decent bow in my life!  However, I watched several people online using a bow maker so I decided to make my own!  I bought one of those long, rectangular decorative box frames from Dollar Tree (see the one pictured above in the supplies photo that says 'Harvest Blessings').  I painted over the stock photo with white chalk paint, drilled a couple holes and then painted to fit my fancy.  I glued wooden dowels in the holes and added a green pipe cleaner.  Don't ask.  I mean, it's kind of there to cover up all the hot glue I had to use to keep the dowels in place. Don't judge me. I'm not one to use a ruler or measuring tape often so it's not perfect.  But I did add lines for guidance so I'm not a complete flake. 


I  decided to use some decco mesh on the back of the bow which wasn't entirely a good idea, but I made it work! In hindsight I should've used a little more of the larger decorative ribbon instead. All in all it turned out cute, I think. And that bow maker...worked like a charm! I know it's not as fancy and functional as the one you can buy but it worked for me!! 

I found some little sunflowers I bought a while back and decided to add a few to the frame.  They just twisted on so I knew I could take them right back off if I didn't like them. It works!! So I left them. 

Another fun, super cute craft in the books.  Thank you to everyone who voted in the poll to help me decide which one to make.  Here is the sketch I drew of the different ideas I had.  Again, I may still make the table top one but I'll have to experiment a little with that too.  So I probably won't do that one live.  Unleeeeesssss I give it a Halloween vibe!!! Ooooohhh! Now there's an idea!! 





Next craft will probably be the witch hat.  You'll have to jump over to my Facebook Craft Group page for more details!! I found out about something super cool that we can do with that witch hat that is not Halloween related at all!! So excited!

Thank you once again for stopping by my blog and being a part of my crafty adventures!  I can't wait to get started on the next one!! 

Happy crafting!!







No comments:

Post a Comment